Wednesday, December 29, 2010

5 for the Mythical National Title

Lou and I finished in a virtual dead heat.  We were 10 games over .500.  I was 39-29-2 and he was 38-28-4. Lou suggested that we pick some new years day games to sort out a winner and hey were trying to get to 300 posts for the year so why not?  In reality we both did very well picking for the season and should consider gambling for real.  Anyone know a good bookie?

Outback Bowl: Penn State (+7) @ Florida.

A virtual home game for the Gators but seriously how are they touchdown favorites?  Urban Meyer's last game blah blah blah.  Penn State has been stellar in bowl games recently and I think the case will be the same here.  I expect PSU to win outright but will gladly take the 7 points.

Capital One Bowl: Alabama vs. Michigan State (+10)

I know I have a Big Ten Bias, but I could see Michigan State keeping this game close. Yes they are clearly the 3rd best team in the conference but Alabama is not going to run circles around you offensively.  If Michigan State can keep their tailbacks active and work play action they will hang around.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma(-16.5) vs. UConn

Remember when Big Game Bob was Big Game Bob.  I think this game will remind you why Bob Stoops was so highly touted 5 years ago.  Oklahoma should torch a weak UConn secondary forcing UConn to open things up with Zach Frazier.  I don't like the Huskies chances if they can't pound Jordan Todman 40 times in this game.  Oklahoma by 3 touchdowns.

Sun Bowl: Miami (-3) vs. Notre Dame

This is a virtual toss up but me thinks Notre Dame has been lucky to have finished the season so strong.  Its so easy for me to root against Notre Dame and I will be sitting at home watching this one so I'll root for Miami.

Rose Bowl:  Wisconsin (+3) vs. TCU

I feel really confident about this pick which could be bad news.  Wisconsin has been the best team in the Big Ten for my money.  Gary Patterson is a good defensive mind who has figured out ways to shut down spread teams where other coaches fail.  I could get into X's and O's here but basically TCU loves them some undersized ends who can do multiple things.  One thing they won't be able to do, stop Wisconsin from running student body right, student body left, and running right down there throat.  I like the over in this game because I think TCU will get theirs too.  However, Wisconsin should win this one and take their 4th straight Rose Bowl, something the entire Big Ten is envious about.

No comments:

Post a Comment