Saturday, October 16, 2010

5 for Sunday

We've reached that point. Like I said last week, another bad week and I'd be forced to go the George Costanza route and do the opposite of every instinct I have. Like Jerry told him - if every instinct I've had is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right. Fortunately, since I've been able to muster at least one win each week I'll go opposite on four and stick to my guns on one. Home teams in CAPS.

Detroit (+10) over NY GIANTS
The Giants have beat the hell out of Houston and Chicago the last two weeks and now come home against a Detroit team is trying to shed its doormat label. The blowout win against the Rams was a nice step, but I don't know if Shaun Hill and the Lions have a better game in them, especially on the road in windy conditions. The Giants defense is playing like it did during its Super Bowl run three years ago, which makes me like the Giants very much in this game. So, that being said, give me the Lions plus the 10 points.

Cleveland (+13.5) over PITTSBURGH
Ben Roethlisberger, he of Excite Bikes and Surprise Sex, makes his return from suspension in this game, and you couldn't have a more gift-wrapped day for him. The Steelers are coming off their bye and have been able to keep their defense's difference-maker Troy Polamalu healthy this far. Meanwhile, the Browns are starting Colt McCoy at quarterback, and a road game at Pittsburgh is likely the last place on the list of settings where you'd want to make your first NFL start. This may be the most popular Survivor pool pick of the week. I really don't think the Browns will crack 7 points. So....give me Cleveland.

Baltimore (+3) over NEW ENGLAND
I'm a big believer in addition by subtraction, and the Randy Moss trade lines the Pats up for some nice Ewing Theory karma. Not to mention, they are also coming off their bye and you have a feeling there will be some wrinkles in store to confuse the Baltimore defense, which will be the first to see the Patriots offense in its new sans-Moss approach. The special teams play from New England in their Monday Night rout of the Dolphins in Week 4 was a reminder that this a superbly coached football team. So.....I'll take the Ravens +3.

SAN FRANCISCO (-6.5) over Oakland
The Raiders took a defensive nap for two quarters and still managed to sneak up on San Diego last week, thanks to two blocked punts in the 1st quarter and a fumble return TD in the 4th quarter. San Francisco, on the other hand. once again demonstrated their prowess at finding ways to lose games last week against the Eagles. The Raiders have been in every game besides their opener at Tennessee and are a Sebastian Janikowski chip shot against Arizona from being 3-2. Even with Jason Campbell having to start again for Oakland, there's hardly anything that could make me side with the 49ers in this game. But that is the power of the Opposite. San Fran minus the points, as I keep myself from dry-heaving.

Indianapolis (-3) over WASHINGTON
Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. Peyton Manning in a nationally televised night game. So there's that, plus I want to see the Redskins win a game that isn't given away to them before I ever buy them. Can't go against the instinct on this one - Manning outweighs the Opposite.

Last Week: 1-4-0
Season: 9-16-0

No comments:

Post a Comment