Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cinq Pour Samedi

Well, after a solid month of not being able to watch much college football on Saturdays thanks to being out of town, or at prior engagements, or playing golf, or immersed in playoff baseball, the smoke-and-mirrors act finally caught up to me in the form of my first sub-.500 week of the NCAA season. Not to mention, I haven't written a legit post in about 3 weeks. I'd like to use this forum to properly apologize.

To the readers and everybody in NotAsGoodAsYouThink nation, I'm sorry. I'm extremely sorry. I was hoping for an exclusively profitable season, something no one has ever done here. I promise you one thing, a lot of good will come out of this. You will never see any pseudo-writer in the entire country pick games as hard as I will pick them the rest of the season. You will never see someone push the rest of the blog as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season. You will never see a blog make picks and write posts better than we will the rest of the season. God Bless.

So now that that's out of the way, all games are Saturday because I got home from work too late to make my pick on the WVU/South Florida Thursday night game (Mountaineers -10, but we play by the rules here). Home teams in CAPS.

GEORGIA (-14.5) over Vanderbilt
I usually wouldn't pick a game like this, but Georgia's latest in its line of bulldog mascots, Uga VIII, is making his debut, and I'm not passing up the opportunity to link to a picture of a handsome devil like this.

MICHIGAN STATE (-7) over Illinois
Team with momentum, say hello to team with even more momentum. Illinois ruined Penn State's homecoming in a big way last week and gave Ohio State a run the week before. However, the Spartans are 6-0 and have some people talking about a special season (or at least delaying the point in time where the basketball team takes over the forefront).

Arkansas (+4) over AUBURN
I hope people avoid the "well, Auburn beat South Carolina, South Carolina beat Alabama, Alabama beat Arkansas" routine to try to make a selection on this game. This game will be a question of who is going to take bigger advantage of the opportunity in the SEC provided by Alabama's loss. We should look forward to points galore in this one, so give me Ryan Mallett and the Razorbacks plus more than a field goal in a fairly even matchup.

NEBRASKA (-9.5) over Texas
A rematch of last year's Big 12 title game and the incomplete pass that was-then wasn't-then was, which allowed Texas the one second it needed to kick the game winning field goal. Texas enters this one on a two-game losing streak, while Nebraska hasn't lost since that night in Dallas last December. If the Big 12 is indeed turning back toward the Cornhuskers' favor, then this game is the day it will be known.

Ohio State (-3.5) over WISCONSIN
I really don't want this to happen, but I think the Buckeyes may be starting to turn a corner on their "Big Ten Bully" status of the past several years and won't be so quick to choke on their new #1 ranking. Terrelle Pryor has grown into a real quarterback and more than just a guy with speed and an arm. I agree with Kevin about how this should be a classic and that it should come down to one possession, but I think it'll be 6-8 points instead of 3.

Last Week: 1-3-1
Season: 18-9-3

No comments:

Post a Comment